Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Businessman to develop Islamic resorts

Indra Harsaputra and Achmad Faisal, The Jakarta Post, Surabaya | Tue, 09/01/2009 5:45 PM


A Sumenep legislative council member confirmed reports that two islands off Madura had been sold to a businessman who intends to develop them into resorts.


Councilor Badrul Aini said Tuesday that businessman Zainal Seniya bought the islands and had leased them to Canadian and Singaporean investors.


“Both Sitabok and Seradeng islands will be developed into maritime resorts equaling Bunaken [North Sulawesi],” Badrul said.


Local cleric Dailami Abu Hurairah, who is close to the businessman, said the two islands would be Islamic resorts and target Middle East tourists.


“We have been involved in the project and will help operate the maritime resorts, which will follow an Islamic concept,” Dailami said.


He said many Middle East tourists felt uncomfortable with major tourist destinations like Bali, which do not promote Islamic values.


Deputy Sumenep Regent Mochammad Dahlan said the two islands belonged to the state and had not been sold to anyone.



RI Navy to buy two submarines in 2011 or 2012

Monday, August 31, 2009 22:42 WIB

Surabaya (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian Navy intends to procure two submarines in 2011 or 2012 at a total cost of about US$700 million, its chief, Admiral Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno, said here Monday.


(istimewa/ANTARA)


"The procurement plan for execution in 2011 or 2012 is currently being worked out by the defense ministry," Parijanto told the press after installing a new chief for the Indonesian navy`s Eastern Fleet Command.


"We still have to decide from which country we will buy the submarines and also have yet to determine their specifications. We may buy them from Korea, France or Russia," he said.


At present, the Indonesian navy had two German-made submarines but they were of very old vintage, he said, adding one of them some time ago underwent an overhaul, and the other now would follow suit soon.


The navy had yet to determine the specifications of the two yet-to-be-purchased submarines but it was clear that they must have capabilities on a par with or , if possible exceeding, those of subamrines owned by neighboring countries, he said.


It was hoped the additional submarines would enable the navy to guard Indonesia`s vast maritime territory in a more effective way, the navy chief said.


Meanwhile, the post of chief of the navy`s Eastern Fleet Command based in Surabaya was transferred from Rear Admiral Lili Supramono to Commodore Ignatius Dadiek Surarto who was previously commander of the main naval base in Makassar, South Sulawesi.


Rear Admiral Lili Supramono was to be reassigned as a special assistant to the navy chief of staff at the navy`s headquarters.


Related Article:


RI yet to choose prospective submarine supplier



Indonesian Navy intensifying security of outermost islands

Monday, August 31, 2009 22:52 WIB


Surabaya (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian navy continued intensifying operations to secure the country`s outermost islands in anticipation of possible occupation by foreign countries.


Navy chief of staff Admiral Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno told newsmen here on Monday he had already prepared special forces to secure the islands.


"So far we have not received reports about disputes over the islands but we keep securing them," he said at the handing over of the post of commander of the Eastern Fleet Command from Rear Admiral Lili Supramono to Commodore Ignatius Dadiek Surarto.


He said that although with limited personnel and equipment, the navy remained committed to seriously carrying out its duty to secure the regions.


The navy`s warships in their operations to secure the islands are also assisted by ships from the police and other institutions.


"For the security in Ambalat six warships remained in place to anticipate possible infiltration by ships from Malaysia. Naval personnel are ready to intercept in case a foreign ship is infiltrating," he said.


Tension was rising in the region when Malaysian ships conducted manouvering and infiltrating the waters some time ago.


In connection with reports about the sale of a number of isles in several regions Admiral Tedjo said it was impossible to happen because they were not for sale.


"What I know is that no isle has been sold but probably they are just leased to investors. It is a mere misperception which must be straightened out," he said.


The new Eastern Fleet Command chief, Commodore Dadiek Surarto, used to be the chief of staff of the Military Seaborn Command and the VIth Navy Main Base in Makassar. Rear Lili Supramono has been assigned as a special staff to the navy`s chief.